Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Olympic boxer at center of gender eligibility controversy wins bizarre first bout -Capitatum
TradeEdge Exchange:Olympic boxer at center of gender eligibility controversy wins bizarre first bout
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 04:36:33
PARIS – Algeria's Imane Khelif,TradeEdge Exchange one of two female Olympic boxers disqualified from the 2023 world championships after failing gender eligibility tests, entered the ring Thursday at the Paris Games.
Her bout ended in abrupt and bizarre fashion.
Khelif prevailed when Italy’s Angela Carini stopped fighting after 46 seconds.
Carini was punched in the nose and shortly afterward said she didn't want to fight anymore, according to Italian coach Emanuele Renzini
"After one punch she feel big pain,'' Renzini told reporters,.
2024 Olympic medals: Who is leading the medal count? Follow along as we track the medals for every sport.
Carini wept when speaking with reporters after the fight and spoke only in Italian. Translation of her comments was not immediately available.
But Renzini said Carini had been told not to take the fight and it had been weighing on her as the bout approached.
During the first round, Carini consulted with her coach twice before the fight was halted. Officially, Khelif won by ABD (abandoned).
Opinion:Olympic female boxers are being attacked. Let's just slow down and look at the facts
The crowd at North Paris Arena greeted Khelif with cheers before the abbreviated fight at the Summer Olympics and several Algeria flags were seen among the crowd. The fight in the welterweight division at 66 kg (146 pounds) was scheduled for three three-minute rounds.
The issue of gender eligibility criteria surfaced at the 2023 world championships when Khelif and Lin Yu-Ting of Taiwan both won medals in the women’s competition before tournament officials announced the boxers had failed gender eligibility tests. They were stripped of their medals.
This week the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said the two boxers met criteria to compete in Paris, sparking discussion about gender eligibility tests.
Get Olympics updates in your texts! Join USA TODAY Sports' WhatsApp Channel
The world championships are overseen by the International Boxing Association (IBA), long plagued with scandal and controversy.
Last year the IOC banished the IBA and developed an ad-hoc unit that ran the Olympic boxing tournament at the Tokyo Games in 2021 and is doing the same here.
The IOC did not detail the criteria met by Khelif and Yu-Ting to compete here and in Tokyo, but did say the boxers’ passports state they are women.
Yu-Ting, 28, is scheduled to begin competition Friday against Sitora Turdibekova of Uzbekistan in the featherweight division at 57 kg (126 pounds).
Are you as obsessed with following Team USA as we are? Thought so. Subscribe to our Olympics newsletter Chasing Gold here.
veryGood! (9914)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- ‘A Quiet Place’ prequel box office speaks volumes as Costner’s Western gets a bumpy start
- 'Youth are our future'? Think again. LGBTQ+ youth activism is already making an impact.
- Bardet wins hot and hilly opening Tour de France stage in Italy while Cavendish struggles
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Masai Russell, Alaysha Johnson silence doubters in emotional interviews
- Olivia Culpo Marries Christian McCaffrey in Rhode Island Wedding Ceremony
- 2024 NHL free agent rankings: Top 25 players to watch when free agency opens
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- US Olympic track trials results: 400m hurdles stars dazzle as world record falls
Ranking
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score? Rookie nears triple-double in win vs. Mercury
- ‘A Quiet Place’ prequel box office speaks volumes as Costner’s Western gets a bumpy start
- With England survival at stake, Jude Bellingham creates one of the great moments of Euro 2024
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- NASCAR at Nashville 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Ally 400
- Republican JD Vance journeys from ‘Hillbilly Elegy’ memoirist to US senator to VP contender
- Despite indefinite landing delay, NASA insists Boeing Starliner crew not stranded in space
Recommendation
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
The Republicans who want to be Trump’s VP were once harsh critics with key policy differences
Looking forward and back as the Civil Rights Act turns 60
Juan Estrada vs. Jesse 'Bam' Rodriguez live: Updates, card for WBC super flyweight title
51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
Hurricane Beryl an 'extremely dangerous' Cat 4 storm as it roars toward Caribbean
Boeing announces purchase of Spirit AeroSystems for $4.7 billion in stock
California Gov. Gavin Newsom signs budget to close $46.8B budget deficit